Monday, October 11, 2010

The ending of one chapter and the beginning of another....

I know it has been awhile since I have posted anything, and I apologize for that. My life quickly picked up as I took over everything in my classroom as well as shuffling my little darlings from one place to another.  However, my placement for Kindergarten is quickly coming to a close, next week will be my final week with them :(. It is hard to believe that I am already halfway through my Student Teaching! I have been working toward this final test for three years and had always thought that once I reached it everything would slow down and I could enjoy every last bit of it.  Unfortunately, I feel as though time is quickly slipping through my fingers and if I could only just grab and hold on to it for a little longer....I still have so much to learn....I can't leave now!!!!!! 

In all reality I could probably spend a whole year with my Kindergarten teacher and my little ones and still feel as if I had not learned everything possible.  So since I must face reality I must come to terms with leaving my seventeen precious Kindergartners and move on to the Second grade.  I am excited and at the same time nervous for how my next class will accept me.  My Kindergartners accepted me from the beginning, because I was there from the beginning. This second grade class may not be so accepting in the beginning, which is understandable but I really hope that it isn't the case.  For me, this transition is similar to leaving home for the very first time and not knowing what to expect. Kindergarten is my home...where my roots are grounded and now I will have to leave my safe and cozy home to step into the unknown....second grade.  Now, I have been told that second graders are just like bigger Kindergartners that are somewhat independent.  I could see how this statement would become more appealing but I honestly LOVE Kindergarten ...I always have.  Here are a few reasons why I love Kindergarten:


Reason 1: They think I'm tall :)

Reason 2: They love to help you and please you in whatever they do.

Reason 3: We share the same attention span and enjoy sitting on the floor.

Reason 4: We find the same things intriguing

Reason 5: We love to color

Reason 6: We have LARGE imaginations



I could probably go on about all the things that I have in common with my Kindergartners but then you all will start thinking that I have issues so I will stop there. 


Don't get me wrong though....I am excited to go on to Second Grade and see what I can learn.  But when you have had such an amazing experience with wonderful students and a phenomenal cooperating teacher you find it a little bit harder to just pick up and move on.   I know my next placement will be absolutely amazing and there will be so many things that I will learn...and in the end I'm sure I will love them just as much.  I just don't want to miss all of the great things my little ones are going to experience and learn without me.  I want to see how much they have grown and listen to their stories as they tell me about what they are learning and all the little things they soak up.  There is no doubt that this is bittersweet, and in a perfect world I would be able to experience both. But that obviously isn't the case...so I will watch my little one's from a distance as the blossom into First Graders. 

I can't help but  wonder if I will always have this much trouble with my students leaving me or if it will get easier as the years go on?  Knowing me I will always have some emotional attachment to each class that I have....but I must realize that that is why I love it, that is why I chose it.

And at the end of the day, no matter the grade level...I will always know that I have one of the most rewarding jobs in the world.

1 comment:

  1. This is the start of my 39th year, Meg. My students have usually been juniors and seniors at either high school or college. Every graduation brings the same feelings as you describe. If I like facebook for any reason, it's that former students like you are willing to share their lives so I can keep track with "my little ones." Best of luck in your next assignment. I'm sure they'll love you and that you will continue to be the same terrific teacher you've proven yourself to be. I look forward to welcoming you into my profession :)

    ReplyDelete