Thursday, August 15, 2013

Teacher Week '13-Taming the Wild

Alrighty folks...this may be one of my shorter posts simply due to the fact that I still have a large mountain of papers to grade, but I figured this would be the perfect break! 
I am very happy to share how I tame my wild firsties on a daily basis. 

Let's get started! 

First off, you will notice that in this photos you see yellow or white punch-cards hanging above my students lockers. These punch-cards go along with our district wide PBiS (Positive Behavioral Supports and Interventions). The idea is that you catch students "doing the right thing" and encouraging the behavior to continue. After they have successfully filled (up to 3) punch-cards their names are placed in a drawing and, if drawn, they get to go on a limo ride with the principal and the other grade level recipients for a yummy lunch! 

Well, how do we figure out if they get a punch or not?! This is where my classroom behavior comes into play. I use a Zebra-tastic clip chart (from First Grade Fever). My students have the opportunity to clip up  and clip down based on the choices made throughout the day. 




If  a student reaches the very top of our chart they get to go home with a 'Good News" note(shown in the photo above) to their parents (found on Pinterest) and they get to choose a color of puffy paint for me to paint a dot on their clothespin.  In my classroom my kiddos can clip off THE TOP of our chart! If this happens I wear their  clip proudly on my teacher lanyard and there sometimes is even a special treat! 


Oh, but wait...that isn't all! If all of our student clips are on or above green (ready to go!) we earn a classroom fish for our fish tank!
I used these fish last year for my 4th graders personal fish tanks and then at the end of each quarter I would hold a Fish Auction where I would auction off dollar store items, Gatorade and sports posters....THEY LOVED IT!! 
However, I don't think my kiddos are quite yet ready to keep track of their own fish tanks so we all work toward a goal together! 

 
Our current goal is to reach 10 fish so we can get an extra recess! We are getting VERY close to our goal and we are very excited!!! 

At the end of each day we have D.O.T time. This is where we fill our V.I.P (very important papers) folders and we fill in our behavior  calendars! I found these editable behavior calendars from one of my FAVORITE bloggers/TpT sellers...A Cupcake for the Teacher! I love these because I can edit them to keep parents updated on what's going on in the month and they can check what color of our clip chart their child ended on for that day! Teri is amazing! I have followed her blog from my very first day of teaching, so be sure to go check her out!

Well, I think my break from grading is about over. I hope you enjoyed this short little post on how I manage my crazy little one's everyday. I'm sure I will lay down in bed tonight and think of 10 other little management things I use, but for now, I think you have got the idea! Off to conquer my mountain of papers....woof. 




Thanks for stoppin' by! 

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of getting off the chart! I bet they love it when the teacher wears their clip.

    Jeanette
    Third Grade Galore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, I bet they LOVE when you wear their clip! I like the self-assessment piece at the end of the day. I will have to check it out! Thanks for sharing :)

    Lindsey at Forever First Grade

    ReplyDelete